What is this all about?
It is about the question: How would God have us raise a generation of leaders? School should not be about passing a test or even getting a diploma. Education is about preparation to make a difference through the quest for one’s passions and our ability to work with others. God has made every one of us unique, and the path of learning should be about mentoring students to love and seek God, ask good questions, think critically, and lead.Mayflower Christian Academy is an alternative to education in Southwest Virginia. Our core
curriculum subjects are intended to cover the basics (My Father’s World curriculum and Demme curriculum). Annual standardized testing will maintain a reference point to gage progress at school grade level. Our teachers will guide the learning experience through questions and enriching experiences inside and outside a typical classroom environment.
Families are expected to participate in ways that fits their availability, schedule, and skill sets.Learning is supposed to be fun. Our geographical area lends itself to so many ways to apply
what we learn in the classroom. Skilled professionals in the area welcome the opportunity to share hands-on learning with students.This education is a win-win in our community:
- Teachers who are Christians in our local schools want to be free to share the Hope that is within them.
- Parents need to be respected by a school as the educational authority in their child’s
- Students have an environment where they can leverage their best learning style and
develop other ways of learning.
- Others in the community, who are willing, need a way to pour into students’ lives for hands-on learning.
Mayflower Christian Academy focuses on educating young hearts and minds to impact their communities and the world for Jesus Christ.
What is the next move?
- We are now accepting applications for 2019/2020 school year.
- Our board members are strategizing to apply lessons learned from the Beta test year.
To keep us from reinventing wheels, we have aligned with the Association of Classical and
Christian Schools (ACCS) for structure and expectations. We have visited Classical Christian
schools in Blacksburg and Roanoke. Our school year will begin the day after Labor Day, 2019,
and run through the Friday before Memorial Day, 2020.
Why the name?
The Pilgrims who set sail were courageous to face a trans-Atlantic crossing with families. They sought opportunity to express freedoms that could not be found any other way. We seek tobuild a new world where others may courageously sail.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How many days per week?
5 school days per week. One day every other week will be
reserved for field trip activities where classroom learning can be applied in a fun, interactive
way out in our community.Where will the school meet?
Memorial Baptist Church, 995 Peppers Ferry Road, Pulaski, VA
24301.How many teachers?
We will have 2 or 3 full-time teachers for the 2019/2020 school year.
The number of teachers will depend on the number of students enrolled.What grade levels?
For the 2019/2020 school year, K – 8; however, other grade levels may be
considered on a case-by-case basis, at the discretion of the Board of Directors.Will everyday’s schedule be the same?
Mornings will be consistently structured with
academics. After lunch, activities will vary with crafts and availability of special guests.Who is in charge?
What will it cost?
- A Board of Directors is provides oversight and administrative support;
- A mentor teacher will help teachers with continuity in our path to learning.
Before any scholarships or discounts, it would be $4200 per year
($420/month for 10 months or $350/month for 12 months). There will be discounts for
students of MCA teachers. There is also a discounts for families with multiple students.Will there be discounts or scholarships?
Yes. Discounts will be based on number or students.
Scholarships, eventually. The school is in the process of finding and submitting applications for
grants. As funding becomes available, we will communicate it to those on our email list.Where can I get more information?
Who is on the Board of Directors?
- Our website https://www.mayflowerswva.org
- Stay in the know by joining the email list.
- Attend an information meeting. You can meet some of the board members and
- Javier Mattos, Interim Head of school
- Ginny Hagee, Mentor Teacher
- Jane Lookabill
- Ben Tickle, Special Education Consultant